Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Anticipation...Making Me Wait

Yesterday I was going to put in the garden...all 15 of those tomato plants plus the peppers, fennel, carrots and peas and all the other vegetables I have standing by waiting for their moment in the sun.  But, given that I live on an island in the Northumberland Straight whose weather is controlled by the ocean's temperatures and given that those same temperatures plummeted last night to near freezing (yes, you read that right) I opted to wait. 

Only problem is, the forecast doesn't show it warming up in the foreseeable future!  So I'm in a bit of a pickle as it were, or I would be if I could plant those damn cucumbers!  Most of what I'm planting takes a minimum of 70 days to mature...so by the time I get them in the ground, it's going to be Sept. or Oct. at the earliest before we can enjoy our home-grown food.  Patience has never been one of my virtues so you can only imagine how pleased I am at this turn of events.

On the good news front...the French Lilac I planted last year is in full bloom!  Isn't it pretty?






2 comments: